FACTS ABOUT FEAR AND PHOBIAS
Fear and Phobias
- Facts, Medical Terms and Information about different types of Fears and Phobias
- Meaning and Definitions of Fears and Phobias
- Causes of Fears and Phobias – Facts and Information
- Treatment of and Self help strategies for Fears and Phobias
- Self Help, Remedies and Treatment to cure
- This website contains interesting facts, phobia name and information about different Fears and Phobias
Learn about your Fear and Phobias
This website contains facts and information about many different Fears and Phobias. There is an old saying ‘there is nothing to fear but fear itself’ and it’s true! If you make the effort to learn and understand your Fears and Phobias you will be taking your first step to overcome them. The following table contains a list of Fears and phobias – there are lots of them! Fear and phobias are extremely common! Lots of people suffer with anxieties, fear and phobias – so you are not alone!
Facts about Fear and Phobias
|Quotes on Fear
|What is Phobia
Overcoming your Fear and Phobias!
You can overcome your fear and phobias with the right treatment, a positive attitude and self-help strategies. There are many self-help strategies you can use to overcome fear and phobias. The key to success when undertaking self-help strategies is to increase your knowledge and understanding of the fear and phobias which in turn will help you to decrease your fears and anxieties. Remember ‘there is nothing to fear but fear itself’. Learn about the different types of Fear and Phobias. Discover the causes, symptoms, treatments and effects. Click one of the following links for articles to help with different Fear and Phobias:
Fear and Phobias – A to Z List of Fears by Name
Definition of Fear and Phobias
What exactly are Fear and Phobias? What is fear? What is a phobia? What is the difference between fears and phobias? Read on for the definitions
- Definition of a Fear: Fears are defined as an unusual, unpleasant and nervous feeling of dread, fright, worry, concern, terror, dismay, panic, anxiety, stress, horror or tension. There are many different types of fears, they are extremely varied as they range from fears of people, objects and specific situations.
- Definition of a Phobia: A phobia is defined as an extreme and exaggerated fear; an overwhelming sense of dread and intense anxiety. Phobias vary and may included fearing people, animals, objects, situations and anticipated thoughts. Phobic individuals generally find it difficult to understand their anxiety disorder, or to explain it to others.
|Falling In Love
Fear of Fear
Types of Fear and Phobias
There are four distinct types of fear and phobias (all types have medical terms and a specific scientific phobia name, see subject page for details):
- Social Fear and Phobias
- Social Fear and Phobias relating to social situations where there is a dread and anxiety of embarrassment and failure in certain situations e.g. Fears of flying, enclosed spaces, public speaking, work, heights, crowds, big words, falling love, fear, love, people, words, death, speaking, commitment, failure, success, falling, being alone, abandonment
|Leaving The House
- Fear and Phobias of animals, fish, birds and insects
- Fear and Phobias of animals, fish, birds and insects e.g. Fear and Phobias of spiders, rats, dogs, snakes, birds, bees, mice, cat, bugs, horses
- Fear and Phobias of medical related events
- Fear and Phobias of medical related events e.g. Fear and Phobias of needles, blood, pain, dentists, doctors, pregnancy, childbirth
- Fear and Phobias of the natural environment, objects and common day-to day items
- Fear and Phobias of the natural environment, objects and common day-to day items e.g. Fear and Phobias of storms, thunder, the dark, water, fire, balloons, dolls, hair, holes, food, eating
|Phobia of Phobias
Causes of Fear and Phobias – Facts and Information
What exactly are the causes of Fear and Phobias?
The underlying causes of Fear and Phobias is not fully understood. Experts debate over the causes. Some professionals believe that fears and phobias are hardwired into the brain as evolutionary rudiments, otherwise known as prepared fears. Some experts believe that fears stem from an individual’s childhood experiences and traumas that have perhaps been left unresolved. Fears differ extremely and some individuals are more susceptible to fears and phobias than others. Some fears can be understood. For example, fears of spiders are understandable to most people, as they are often seen as being creepy and they are generally disliked. However, some fears are not so easily understandable as they appear unusual and irrational. This can puzzle other people. For example, fears of food may cause some bewilderment because, to individuals in general, food is a necessary part of survival in life and most people love nothing more than a good meal. Phobic individuals are often aware that their fears are irrational and may appear weird or abnormal to others. However, individuals often continue to live their lives being trapped by their fears.
Effects and Symptoms of Fear and Phobias
The effects, signs and symptoms of fears, phobias, anxieties and panic attacks will often start with an intense surge of anxiety, followed by other unpleasant symptoms which may include: Palpitations, Difficulty breathing; shortness of breath, increased heart rate, Inability to focus and think clearly; disorientation and dissociation, Sense of impending doom, Sense of loss of control:
Treatment for Fear and Phobias
Treatment / Remedies / Cures / Self Help may include the following: The sole purpose of this website, on the subject of Fear and Phobias, is to act as a reference guide to provide useful information regarding these types of anxieties. It is not intended to be used to as a substitute for obtaining professional medical advice. Please remember that if you are in any doubt about your health please consult your medical practitioner immediately.
- Behaviour and Exposure Therapies
- Professional Advice
- Support Groups
- Drugs or Medications
Professional Treatment and Therapy for Fear and Phobias – When to seek help
Most fears and phobias are not serious especially if they do not severely impact your normal daily life. However, if your Fear and Phobias result in avoiding situations on a regular basis, preventing you from functioning or enjoying life, you should consider seeking medical advice. You should also consult your medical practitioner or doctor if your Fear and Phobias are intense and disabling causing anxiety, distress and panic, particularly if you have been suffering for more than six months. If you experience any physical symptoms such as fainting, chest pains, blurred vision or palpitations see you medical or health practitioner as soon as possible to eliminate any serious medical condition.
Fear and Phobias
We hope that the information provided in the article on Fears and Phobias will be of help. Understanding more about your Fears and Phobias is the first step to overcoming your anxiety. Remember ‘there is nothing to fear but fear itself’ – You can overcome fears and phobias with the right treatment and self-help strategies.
Fear and Phobias